Systemic Edema

Anne

I was wondering if anyone out there also gets High Altitude Systemic Edema. Its a condition, usually found in women, where hands, feet, and sometimes eyelids and facial tissue swell up on descent. The kidneys, for some reason, retain too much salt, and thus the water retention.

Systemic Edema is basically harmless, just annoying- but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It has been my experience in the Cascades to have only hand swelling that lasts for half and hour to an hour. But I did have a rather serious episode after coming down from 17,000 ft in China- my feet swelled up badly for a few days. rolleyes.gif

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might want to post this in the general area, where more people visit. I'm not sure if anyone comes to this area.

The only swelling I get when coming down from the summit, is my HEAD! Someday my head will be soooo big I might get on the cover of Outside or something. HA Ha !!

Keep climbing!

You know Who!