[TR] McClellan Butte - Standard Trail 8/15/2008

belayerslayer

Trip: McClellan Butte - Standard Trail

Date: 8/15/2008

Trip Report:

After slaying the Dragon(tail) a few months back - via the Colchuck Glacier, my father has felt nigh invincible. Indeed I have noticed subtle changes in his tones, his personality, even his eyes - they all point toward the birthing of a new mountaineer. Places once deemed 'maddening' seem less so. And when my suggestion for a quick jaunt up a local classic registered in his mind, it already was an afterthought to far greater summits. He's been training, see. Getting in shape for more difficult grades. He balked at me when I mumbled something about class 2. And the short, 4.5 miles up to the summit.

"It's a senic trail" I said, my face heating slightly. "Great views at the top." I felt my neck sweat, knowing my description had painted a "Mt. Si" in his mind. "It'll be good training" I quickly pointed out. He grimaced and I knew my dad was longing for Mt. Stuart. "Plus the dog will come" His face softened somewhat. At ten-and-a-half, our lab is an accomplished 'climber', having seen numerous ascents up peaks across the Cascades. Any day spent in the mountains with him was a day worth spending and remembering.

IMG_9661.jpg[/img]

Nice trail, 2 gulleys with a bit of snow still lingering

IMG_9609.jpg[/img]

At one of the gulleys, my dad noticed several clumps of dark, shaggy, matted hair. Probably from a bear or something, we thought. However, just few feet away from the trail, up against a rock embankment lay a jumbled collection of bones

IMG_9658.jpg[/img]

Obviously a dog. Anyone know the story here? Some hikers we ran into had the theory that the dog fell from the cliffs somewhere above, rolled down and plummeted off the embankment, breaking its neck. Using my treking pole, I fiddled with the collar. Whatever his fate, I am sure he is missed.

Fortunately the alpine tarn near the summit was still intact for my black-haired friend

IMG_9620.jpg[/img]

Made good time to the base of the summit block. My dad complained of sore feet, and wasn't willing to push any further. I regarded his laments with a knowing eye (in truth, he has an innate fear of heights; 'it grips the mind' he says). I urged him to push through the "pain" but he wouldn't hear it. So I took off by myself, with two other guys in tow.

IMG_9636.jpg[/img]

IMG_9647.jpg[/img]

The "Snoqualmie Pickets"

IMG_9641.jpg[/img]

Snapped this pic for 2 guys who had a drained camera - told em to find the TR online and get their summit shot. Here you go guys!

IMG_9648.jpg[/img]

IMG_9654.jpg[/img]

Part lab, part goat

IMG_9628.jpg[/img]

A final, parting shot, showing the mysterious west profile of Kaleetan. To my knowledge, nothing has been reported for this side of the mountain. I ran up the trail last week, hoping to recon the west face and see if anything looked good, but weather wasn't in my favor - no views whatsoever. Of any in the Snoqualmie area, this peak has special significance to me. I have long lamented my late arrival into the arena of climbing, assuming all legit routes and peaks in the area have been bagged. It was my brother, however, who proved me wrong - he himself having put up new routes on local Kent and Abiel peaks. The two of us also attempted the first(?) winter ascent of the north ridge of Kaleetan, which in and of itself inspired me. While much harder and more remote routes and climbs are put up around the world, I have found that within our own corner of the Cascades, there are still untouched, wild places. I think the trick is to look away from the obvious summits and try to take in the whole picture. Then you can see what's been missed..

IMG_9612.jpg[/img]

Gear Notes:

camera /w batteries

Approach Notes:

none

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic