• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff W

Another Rope Question

I finally came to the realization that when buying my first rope I needed to get one that was best suited for what I most planned to do; one rope won't fit all applications. With that in mind I bought a Beal Rando 8mm Dry Cover 30 meter dynamic twin rope. I will mostly carry it as a just-in-case rope when hiking to peaks throughout the state. For example, tomorrow I am hiking to the summit of Goat Peak near Bumping Lake. Never been there - may need a rope at some point. I also plan to use this rope for glacier travel. Did I buy the type of rope best suited for these applications? Can I rap with this rope if I encountered a situation where necessary? Thanks.

Jeff -

For the use you describe, it sounds like you made a wise choice. It's perfectly adequate for rappelling, just limits you to fairly short rappels. About the only thing you need to stay aware of is you'll want to use it doubled when leading very high-angled (say steeper than 60') from an anchored belay...