2-way radio/cell phone use on Mt Adams

Hi,

A few friends and I will be attempting the South Spur route up Adams at the end of July, and we are wondering about communication options in the likely event that we split into two groups of two along the route.

Anyone have any experience with cell phone use while on the mountain, or are 2-way radios a better bet?

Thanks!

Beth

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience in mountain rescue, we don't get consistent cell reception on Adams.

So when we're on missions there, we use FRS and the "county sherriff band" radio (TAC).

If you're just looking to stay in touch with your group, the FRS radios will do fine. They have a 2-mile LOS range, and I've actually gotten 8+ miles out of them (from the Turtle on Rainier to Cougar Rock Campground) before.

If you take the FRS, make sure you have a pre-departure agreed-upon contingency plan if comm gets lost. Pick a couple of numbers for channels and codes that are easy to remember, and which order to tune them in. For instance, our TAC band ends in the decimal ".205" so our first choice for FRS comm is Channel 2, Code (subchannel) 05. Next choice is "911" (you can discern the significance of that), meaning Channel 9, Code 11.

Use three digit numbers that are easy for anyone in your group to remember: month/day of brithdays, anniversaries, etc. You get the idea. Have fun on your trip!

Betty:

I've been up on Adams my fair share. I have had damn good reception through AT&T below Crescent Glacier to down around the Wilderness boundary.

But interestingly, I've had problems connecting from Lunch Counter.

As folks have said, it is a bit spotty. But, you'd be surprised where you get reception.

Have fun!!