Bailey Traverse single push?

NRS

Just thinking about single push possibilities for the summer.

Has anyone heard of doing the Bailey's in an all out blitz? Whatever the classic route is (I'm having trouble recalling the actual mileage, 40?, 60?). I'm thinking with an ultra light pack, some luck, and good water management it could be done in well under 2 days.

I read somewhere of a guy doing a 'five day variation' of the traditional route in 13 hours.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the traverse from Sol Doc to N. Fork Quinault is in the neighborhood of 65 miles one-way. Friend & I are planning to do it late Sept & hoping to cut it down to 3 days. I’ve done Whiskey Bend to N. Fork in about 17 hrs, but obviously.. Bailey Range is a little more technical and challenging then a nice flat trail.

If you do it.. please post a trip report.

Enjoy

I believe the five day variation done in 13 hours was by Sam Baker, an orthopedic surgeon (now retired) who lives in Port Angeles. This guy is an animal! I was a pharmacist at Olympic Memorial Hospital 1981 to 1984, and this guy was legendary for his strength and endurance. If I remember correctly, he was an alternate on the U.S. Olympic XC team. Used to see him going up the the Hurricaine Ridge Road on his ski trainers.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a Bailey range traverse. Took 6 days, but we were having fun and poking around in no hurry.

The severity of blowdowns and washouts on the southern side of the traverse will impede your travel significantly. Especially after the snow dissapates on the Elwa snow finger. Once down to the river junction and near Happy Hollow, the trail has been obliterated by washouts and blow downs. It was slow going in the woods up and over all the trees and after a bit we opted to walk in the river.

The North Fork trail has had some significant repair work done although there are some pretty large washouts, and part of the trail near 12mile camp is completely gone, we made good time.

Conditions along the ridge are good with plenty of snow still and lots of water. There are a number of landslides that were pretty scarey crossing. One wrong step or loose rock, and there's plenty, and you're tumbling for a long way.

Have fun!