Last time i will ask about this...

miladugga

OK, so I got a singing rock locker for rope soloing, it works great. I tried it off my regular harness, pretty good, but I also aquired a petzl chest harness to try that. Here's my question- do I girth hitch a sling to my belay loop, run it up and through a quick link on the chest harness and then to the ascender? Sorry to be a dumbass, but I'd like to get this right. Typically I wouldn't tie in to my belay loop, so just wondering...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good question, and I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has it dialed. I've fiddled around w/several variations, trying get the set-up as simple and safe as possible.

I end up w/something that looks pretty similar to what Petzl pictures on their Chest Harness Manual . Basically, a locker through the belay loop, attached to a short sling which is attached to quicklink on chest harness, then to another locker which attaches the device. This keeps the device running higher up than what seems natural--we're used to being secured at the waist-- but it makes for a nice "top-rope" type catch.

Girth hitching to the belay loop seems like it would expose you to unnecessary fabric-to-fabric friction and wear, which would make me a little leary of going that route.

I run my backup prussik off a locker that's through the two harness hardpoints. Keeps it out of the way and also seems to "backup" the belay loop set up by using a different point of attachment.