[TR] Static Point - Online to The Right Line 5/26/2008

DRep

Trip: Static Point - Online to The Right Line

Date: 5/26/2008

Trip Report:

After a great day at Index on Saturday, my partner Jessie and I decided to climb Online at Static Point on Memorial Day. We invited our new friend Bill who brought his trooper of a daughter as a partner. The road is gated at Olney Pass so you must now walk about 4 miles to the rock. There was intermitant snow and gravel on the road. Once we reached the normal parking area the trail in was a bushwack through the snow all the way to the culvert and broad stream. The trail uphill was relatively snow free (avi debris in the woods below the left side of the rock). The Approach took over 3 hours due to the snow and schwacking. Jessie and I hopped onto "The Right Line" thinking it was "Online" which I realized upon reaching the bent hanger on the first pitch. We got back Online and climbed it to just Below the crux. After assessing the crux along with my embarrassing slab climbing skills, I chose to traverse back onto "The Right Line" and finish at a manky anchor (anyone want to retrobolt this route sometime? I'll help!). We finished the route and rapped down "Online". Everyone had a great day in a beautiful setting!

A little shout out to Joe and James who climbed "Lost Charms".

Leaving the cars.

static_point_003.jpg

Stream crossing.

static_point_007.jpg

The trail uphill.

static_point_008.jpg

Jessie Leaving "The Right Line" for "Onlne". (J's first time on halfs) :yoda:

static_point_028.jpg

Top of 3rd pitch.

static_point_032.jpg

static_point_038.jpg

Bill atop the 3rd pitch.

static_point_027.jpg

Jessie leading pitch 4. :rocken:

static_point_039.jpg

Rapping past the crux.

static_point_036.jpg

Ugh, a mile and a half of this. :tdown:

static_point_037.jpg

:brew:

Gear Notes:

-First and foremost....A CHAINSAW!!

-Slings.

-Small rack to 1".

-We used 70m half ropes, but a standard 60m and a tagline would

work great.

Approach Notes:

Give the approach another month before the snow is gone. Look for large cougar tracks.

Edited by dave repnik

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dave. Thanks for the shout out! I definitely agree with your suggestion to wait a month for snow melt. That approach was pretty long, although it was pretty cool to see the cougar tracks. Joe and I ended up climbing something close to Lost charms but we got off route a lot because I left the guidebook at home. We actually climbed up to the rappel anchors at Spencers Spaceport for pitch 1. From there I got back on route and climbed up to the pillar base ledge... to be continued my ride is here.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...