Sawtooths and Bighorn crags (Idaho) in August

mccallboater

I'll be hiking from the Green River/Atlanta approach through the southern Sawtooths to Petit Lake the first week of August, then the central Sawtooths, including Baron creek, up to the Iron Creek trailhead the 2nd week, and then into the Bighorn Crags/Ship Island lake area the third week of August, with a day or two of rest time in Stanley on the weekends. I'll have my cousin with me, another 50 something climber. Anyone want to join us for some climbs along the way? We'll be traveling light, carrying a week's worth of food for each leg of the trip, so if someone wants to carry a light rock rack and rope in with them we won't mind ;>

Given the limits of the gear we can haul on such a long trip, I don't expect to do routes harder than 5.7, but that still leaves lots of options. The bighorn crags especially offer the opportunity for pioneering routes on good rock in a beautiful setting. Sound interesting?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aug 3-9, Southern Sawtooths. Aug 11-16, central and Northern Sawtooths. Aug 17-23, hiking down the Middle Fork of the Salmon from Mahoney airstrip, then up Waterfall creek into the Bighorn Crags. Out by the end of Saturday the 23 near Shoop on the Main Fork of the Salmon. Lots of mountains along the way.

Sounds like a lot of fun, J. I'll have to find a new job first, but I'll be thinking about you. I've wanted to get back into the Sawtooths since I was lightninged off several times in the span of a week about 12 years ago (on that trip fortunately I brought a mountain bike, and also discovered several hot springs), and was chased away again by lightning more recently. Both times in August, so good luck on the weather.

could be fun! I am avialable the 2nd week of August.. I'll be in the Bugaboos the week before and on a bike ride the week after but would love the opportunity to climb some routes in the Sawtooths. Iwas there last year hiking around and the peaks looked amazing.

Sorry you can't come Steve. I was thinking of you, among others, when I posted this.

SO anyone else that is interested (Stewster, etc.) PM me and we will discuss details. No reason to clutter up the list anymore, unless someone has suggestions on favorite climbs, hotsprings, etc. Switch to the Idaho list perhaps?