[TR] Mt. Hood South Side, Old Chute - 5.10.08

dwillym

Our group of 4 summited 5.10.08 around 6:45am, started around 1:30am. Clear skies during the night and solid snowpack. Some sleet/snow appeared around daybreak as we approached the Hogsback, and visibility dropped quite a bit (see pic). Plenty of people up there, many of them roping up. We carried a rope & pickets but didn't use them. Started to ascend straight up to the left chute of the gates, but after we made our way around the 'schrund, some of us just didn't feel right about it so we turned around and dropped back to go up the 'old chute' instead (having read trip reports here mentioning icy conditions in the gates, plus the fact that nobody seemed to be going up that way, i think we made a good choice).

Snow was a bit softer cutting across & up the old chute, but there were good steps for about half of it. One party (unroped) was ahead of us. Traversed across to the summit, just the 4 of us and the other party were up there. Didn't see anybody else coming up on our way down, though another roped group was just leaving the Hogsback when we got back there for a break.

If anybody went straight up the hogsback through the left chute this past weekend I'd love to hear what it was like.

IMG_8837.JPG

Edited by dwillym

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We made it up later in the morning on Sat with a group of 5 and probably 20 others summited about the same time as us. Definitely the wettest summit experience to date, though wind wasn't much more than 15 mph. West crater/old chute is in great shape currently. Great snow texture and little ice.

n29408032_33934933_5556.jpg

n29408032_33934931_4202.jpg

n29408032_33934998_1981.jpg

n29408032_33934920_4786.jpg

n29408032_33934934_6224.jpg

Edited by 111

I thought I would be able to slip up this morning just as this last weather was dying out. Unfortunately it was still full-on rain at Timberline this early morning and was not letting up anytime soon. (I saw it finally did later in the day.) By the time I got to Silcox I realized my "water-proof" boots weren't.

The snow was quite soft and with the forecast I cannot imagine that it will freeze-up anytime soon. Expect sloppy snow if you are headed up in the next few days.