Advice Needed: Fat Lead Rope w/ Thin Tag/Rap Line

TimL

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way, if I end up using this system in the Bugs this summer, I'll post my obsevations. Thanks for all the replies!

I suspect you will find in the Bugs that with the possible exception of very rarely travelled or completely new routes, that there are few lines that require rappells of longer than 30m (i.e. a single 70m lead line will do great). The rap-routes on the major spires are well fitted, even for 25m raps in some cases. Personally I would rather carry the weight in the form of sacrificial tat and leave-behind nuts/pins to fill in the occasional missing station. You can use these as part of the rack while climbing, whereas carrying a tag line has limited second purpose.

Actually that is what I was thinking. To get off Bugaboo and Snowpatch (via McCarthy) it's ok for a single. You actually might need doubles or leave something behind on the Buckingham rap route. I'm pretty sure we used doubles but we were running from a storm so I wasn't paying much attention. If we go to the Howsers I'll bring doubles. But can you rap Sunshine Crack on a single 70? I'll have to look at the guide but I don't think so.