Missing Skier - Information Needed

ashcan

By now I am sure that the majority of the people "ON SCENE" or associated therewith the search, know RYAN LAFLEUR.

Once RYAN returns home to the Boston area, I feel that he will be the sole representative of his family. I hope that will be soon.

I now find that I am too close to this subject matter and have to take leave of this exact situation. I will continue with my contacts and encourage that they complete their mission.

I will tell you that I was relieved of my SAR Command due to PTSD - Viet Nam Syndrome and I thought it was over. I am sorry, but I think it came back and I cannot speak any more for the FAMILY of KEVIN LAFLEUR.

My offer to any here, that might be in our area of MA, CT & RI still stands.

KEVIN fought the good fight and I am trying also.

Your friend always,

gil.

Edited by gilder

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from an email written by Charlie Heggem:

-Amy Brown

To those who want a better idea of the day Kevin disappeared.

Here is another shot of the area in question for those that want to see the conditions and terrain that I last saw Kevin. Kevin is actually in this picture. He is tiny spot on the snow located near the top of the ski pole below John's outstretched hand. Kevin's suspected route continued above that point to the saddle directly above. Mt. Baker is the snow-covered peak on the left at 10,780 feet. The Black Buttes are the two lower rock peaks center and right in the picture. Colfax Peak is the actual name of the peak in the middle of the shot and comes up in our search communications.

I shot the picture of the skin track while still climbing on 4/26 at 10:30ish. We (John and I) turned from that vantage and headed up lookers right to another high point where we were planning to ski a pitch similar to the one we skinned up. We had been following Kevin's skin track from Grouse Creek (a standard skin route). I was having fun with his track as I was trying to make kick-turns as smoothly as the skier in front of us, he had great technique and my attempts to follow as crisply actually made me laugh a few times...and stumble.

John and I topped out at 7200 feet and prepared to ski. We were able to look east towards Baker and watch a lone skier begin climbing the Coleman Glacier at about 7300 feet. I shot this picture then to capture the terrain, Kevin just happens to be in it. We watched him for a bit but he was at least a mile off in the distance. It was a glorious day, bluebird, cold snow and still air. It was my first trip of the year up Heliotrope and we ended up skiing one of the best runs of my life.

Kevin could have disappeared anywhere on this mountain, on his accent or his decent. It is a huge, beautiful place that draws us all in and keeps us coming back.

I hope this helps sort out some of Kevin's last moments. This is a place he, and we all, dearly love. Kevin had done this route many, many times before.

For me, I knew Kevin as a competitor at local events and we saw each other in passing at REI, Backcountry Essentials and the local watering holes. He and I were competitors in the annual Ski to Sea event doing the downhill ski leg. We did not get the chance to get out and play together so I missed the chance to really know him.

Shooting these random pictures, of what turned out to be Kevin, has been a surreal and moving experience for me.

I hope these shots and these moments shared on the mountain help family and friends.

It is always a beautiful day in the mountains. Standing at the top of any mountain is why we do it. The long journey up is just as satisfying as the ski down. And this day in April will live in my heart forever.

All my best to you all, with respect and love.

Peace,

Charlie Heggem DSC03337.jpg

Charlie, Amy & Friends,

KEVIN's family thanks you for your thoughts, photos and postings.

They also understand that KEVIN's FRIENDS had a special relationship with him, that only one who can get to be one with nature can understand.

Approximately one hour ago, I had conversation with a direct family member and all agree that RYAN LAFLEUR will be the 1st member to contact for any updates. I am sure you have his info..

If all else fails, you can feel free to contact me at the number indicated in a previous post.

I thank you all,

gil.

A thread has been created for Kevin at:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/796814/Main/796814/#Post796814

The above thread is for those that have been following Kevin's story and want to share their stories, pay him tribute or support his family.

If you want discuss the incident, the following search effort, SAR practices, etc. please continue on this thread here.

I have created a flyer listing his gear and description for posting at trailheads, bulletin boards, stores etc. It is in .pdf form- when I figure out how to convert it to .jpg or .gif, I will post it here.

Thanks.

Edited by SkagitQueen