[TR] Mount Harvey - Ramp 3/2/2008

Trip: Mount Harvey - Ramp

Date: 3/2/2008

Trip Report:

warm weather has settled the snow pretty well, so graham and i went for a look to see how alpine conditions are coming along. snowshoes are still necessary to reach the end of the road. fresh snow cover started at the road-end. there's a firm crust/base, and the new snow deepens to maybe 6" by the top of the ramp, so the climb is more "plugging" than cramponning (not that you can get away without the 'spikes'). i used a single 65cm iceaxe, and i probably swung the axe for a pick placement 6 times on the entire climb - the rest was shaft plunging. we put on a rope for the traverse beyond the top of the ramp, cuz snow conditions are still spooky and the basin is above a VERY big drop, but in fact the snow was fine. the final slopes held a bunch of deep flogging, but they're not long.

we cramponned down as far as the road switchback, then the warmth started to allow us to break thru the crust, so the snowshoes went back on for the road out.

spring's coming...

cheers,

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don- you went yesterday? I was thinking of the west lion thurs, but worried super warm temps will make is a little slushy, esp south facing. How is Harvey for an alternate. Not sure how to get there from the top of the lions bay trail to the lions if it just looks like crap on the lion.

we went sunday. warm in town, but cool on the mtn. overnite snowline was high on the logging road. even filtered down a bit of snow for a while. for sure bright sun will screw with any exposed slopes, so the ramp might be a good alternative - it's shaded till late afternoon. i wouldn't say conditions are stelar (it's nicer when it's firmer underfoot, for better cramponning), but it's always an enjoyable outing.

if u have Alpine Select, there shld be no confusion about the approach, which is well described and photoed on pgs 28-29. walk up the lions road 30-40 mins to the lions/brunswick junction. turn right (towards the lions). walk another 10mins or so, then switchback left. walk NE to the end of the road and the open scree slope above which starts the climb. abt 1 1/2hrs. we were then about 1 1/2 hrs to the top of the ramp, and another 1 1/2 hrs to the top (time for lunch, roping up, etc plus some flogging on final ridge). a 60m rope works fine to keep u safe on the upper basin traverse - it's not really belayed (the second has to walk out about 10m to let the leader reach the trees on the far side) - you just use the trees as 'catchers'...

cheers,