Mt Adams - South Spur Route beta?

scot'teryx

Has anyone been up this route lately? Lots of talk re: Adams Glacier and Mazama, but we are taking the easy way up this Thursday/Friday July 12/13. I hear that road up to the Clear Creek trailhead really sucks.

Thanks for any feedback! I guess I can always call the rangers and see what kind of story they come up with????

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say it was real recent, but I was up there about 3 weeks ago. The road up to Clear Creek is only rough for the last 3 miles, but it is rough. You could drive in with a sedan, but a truck or high-clearance vehicle is preferred due to the deep ruts.

Three weeks ago there was snow in the parking lot and spotty snow for the first 1000 feet up the route. I'm sure it has melted out significantly since then.

I was there this weekend, 7th and 8th. We camped at the Lunch Counter, leisurely 2 day ascent.

I have been up the road when it has been worse, the ruts were manageable at 10:15PM.

The Cold Springs parking lot is competely melted out. Extremely little snow to the Lunch Counter (read "nasty scree climb"), nice snow conditions from there to the false summit and on to the summit. Fantastic glissade from the false summit all the way to the rocks just above the Lunch Counter, esp if you wait to go down (like we did) after it softens up a bit (we left the summit at noon, were back at L.C. approx 12:45!).

I was there this weekend, 7th and 8th. We camped at the Lunch Counter, leisurely 2 day ascent.

I have been up the road when it has been worse, the ruts were manageable at 10:15PM.

The Cold Springs parking lot is competely melted out. Extremely little snow to the Lunch Counter (read "nasty scree climb"), nice snow conditions from there to the false summit and on to the summit. Fantastic glissade from the false summit all the way to the rocks just above the Lunch Counter, esp if you wait to go down (like we did) after it softens up a bit (we left the summit at noon, were back at L.C. approx 12:45!).