Kilimanjaro guides?

mtn.climber

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I been there and I suggest you don't do it. Seriously I have been living in East Africa for 3 years now, and it was the lamest experience I have had so for. There is only one reason why I suggest going for it and this if you are dead set on climbing the seven summits. If that is the case yeah I can reccomend some agencies. All it is thekking. The vegatation is somewhat uninteresting compared to other East African mountains. On the normal routes expect no mountain serenity since you traveling with 200-500 people (note it is difficult to arrange trip on the less traveled routes, though it is possible). Having a guide on the mountain is like having a dingle berry that you can never seem to get rid of. Seriously I thought it was sucky.

Now Mt. Kenya was killer, I really would like to get back there and go climbing again, even after spending 13 days up there, there is still plenty to do. It is way cheaper and you can go up the mountain with out a guide if you want. Mt. Kenya also has real climbing.

I have report from both in the international section. Soon there will be a report from the Rwenzoris. Another rocking place though don't plan on climbing, the trekking routes are great and the climbing has been taken over by vegatation. Then there are several other cool mountains to go to in East Africa that are all better than Kili.

That's my $0.02 with some extra change. Your call.

I agree with Ken4ord. I have climbed Kili (via Western Breach)and Mt. Kenya (normal route) and Kenya was a much better experience. Kili is dirty and crowded; it was dissappointing to see no environmental ethic - trash thrown everywhere, even by the porters.

I would suggest you do the minimum and only hire one guide and one porter (or have the guide carry his own shit). Pack and carry your own food etc. and go super light. This requires more preparation/organization on your part, but it is worth it imo. This assumes you have the knowledge and experience to take care of yourself and make good choices on the mountain. I went with a fully organized climb and there was two porters for every client - a bit ridiculous...while the fresh pineapple, chicken, eggs etc. and having all the cooking done and someone to carry my shit was very nice, i wouldn't do it this way again.

I went with these guys http://www.naturebeauties.com

cheap, and you get what you pay for. I also did a camping safari with these guys which was excellent.

You will save money if you book your activities once you arrive. And, honestly, the day I spent getting things organized in Arusha was one of my most memorable days in Africa. I know some like to have everything set before they leave the US and A, but this worked for me.

Yeah I have to agree, booking in advance is a little more expensive. I guess it depends on your time schedule and personality. Haggling is way acceptable in East Africa and is part of their culture. I think the main reason mountain climbing is so damn expensive is because developed world doesn't know how to haggle and just accept increase with out hessitations. With haggling you need time, it's a game.

If you change your mind and decide on Mt. Kenya, I know a guy who is way cool. It has been 2 years since I have been there and Micheal and I still stay in touch. The way I did it was to hire 5 porters up the mountain which most went home after we arrived at base camp. Micheal stayed on with us the rest of the trip, we all took turns cooking, I hung with the porters smoking, trading stories and cooking instead of hanging with package tourist. My buddy spent a lt time hanging with the package tourist and usually scored good eat, but I found them boring. The caretakers in the huts enjoyed having me hanging with them, in exchange I gave them food and medicine and traded stories. Culturally it was way more intersting cutting hunks of week old goat off the wall than it was talking to some dude who has 5-8 people hauling all their shit making all their food.