• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
thatcher

Is flooding destroying our access to mountains?

Has anyone heard anything about Forest roads being washed out? I suppose we won't really hear anything for a couple days. But i thought I'd check.

rivers won't peak until tomorrow morning at the earliest

i'd expect a few washouts but nothing too big - alpine snowpack absorbed a lot of moisture in the first few hours of the storm, and it never got as warm as predicted.

While that may be true north of the border, there wasn't that much snowpack in the Central Cascades to absorb any of the water. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't more damage to roads and trails.

Meh. Slesse Creek is at 10-year flood stage, Stave River's getting up there but Coquihalla and Chilliwack Rivers peaked at less than 2-year. Flooding is spotty and not widespread.

RE: floods destroying roads ....

As a retired road & bridge designer, the users of same should

be aware that the available funds and budget can, at times,

dictate the layout and design. Even though there added risks

ie when major flooding and scouring, unstable slopes, poor

soils etc are not factored in with the priority; that at least,

might make same 'semi-permanent.