Broken Dynafit in Downhill Free-Heal Experiences?

pinegar

After a fair bit of (totally awesomely fun) telemark skiing last year, I recently purchased some (AT) Shuksan 181's with Dynafits that are about 5 years old. [My motivations were weight, boot crampons, and skiing (particularly fall recovery) on steep icy snow.] I've taken them skiing once, and although the conditions were extremely difficult, I was really (favorably) impressed by the system.

However, while going generally down-hill with skins on and heels free, I took I think two falls severe enough to release the "totally locked down" front of the binding. Apparently to no ill effect.

I've heard that these can be skied in tele style downhill, and extreme people have even removed the heal bindings to save weight for certain tours. But also that this is not advised, and I am "likely to rip the front of the binding off the ski".

I'm not planning to ski like this a lot (am I?) but I'm wondering if some people do it all the time?

I also wonder if a release with the front totally locked down is considered "really bad" or "a reliable part of the design". Of course experiences can be a lot more meaningful than just opinions here. But of course a binging could have been poorly mounted too, etc.....

Have people personally ripped out bindings skiing like this?

If we did a ton of testing, how many of these "crazy release-causing falls" would we see for every ripped-out or broken binding?

Do the bindings just rip out or have people personally experienced the metal bending or breaking?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest simply using tele bindings if you want to tele, and use Randonee bindings for their intended use. Seems to me the problem would be lack of heel-toe mid foot articulation in your randonee ski boots, and no lateral give on the toe piece.

It's commonly considered that the fully locked toe position on a Dynafit lends itself to ACL injuries, but I commonly ride mine like that on no fall terrain to avoid toe popping prerelease. I've never had a problem, and have ripped out in that unfavorable DIN setting during some nasty inbounds crashes. I've never broken my Dynafits, or had metal warp, but I have destroyed 3 sets of Fritschi's.

My understanding is that "locked down" is equal to a DIN of 12 or so; not totally surprising (but very, very good) that you released. If they are well mounted, I don't think you will ever rip it out; the design is such that it will release long before the binding fails. Skiing it tele-style? Ughh. Maybe for a long, flat tour, but not having any tension to the pivot would make it pretty damn difficult to control? I think I have seen polar sledging types mount it as you suggest (light, bomber), but to actually ski hard?

Edited by korup

There are a few things that may be going on.

1. You were not clicked all the way into lock (I think you should hear it click 4 times). I sometimes have to use my ski pole to get the tab all the way up.

2. There could be snow under the springs causing the release but this is more common when you are locked down in the heel as well.

3. It could be your boots. I had a pair resoled and I had to cut a notch into the front of the toe so it didn’t press down on the springs while touring. (I think some of the first year Mega Rides had that problem.)

4. Or, like stated before, you could be going so far forward in your fall that your boot is clicking that front tab down causing it to release.

These are all very interesting and informative comments. Thanks a lot! I take this discussion as a real endorsement of the dynafit system!

I checked if the fully-rotated-forward boot toe could hit the release button. I tried at home on one boot/ski and couldn't get it to release with my hands, but that was the orientation during the falls I think.

I also doubt these will tele well because there is no feedback to the foot to feel the boot-to ski angle. But I'll give it a try sometime.