Silvretta 555?

jordansahls

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for approaches, bad for "real" skiing, assuming you like your ACLs the way they are.

for most people the ACL will release before the binding does.

Whats a good deal? You should be able to pick them up for $100 or less. You can get the, IMHO, better Fritschi Explorer/Diamir/Freerides used for $150

I wish I knew where all these $100-$150 AT bindings were for sale.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98468

I bought a pair of mediums, same vintage, for $100 this summer from the Gear Swap section. User base is more resort oriented with heavier gear so lighter touring stuff gets priced cheap, especially later in the season and summer time.

Don't believe what you hear about silvretta's not releasing. They just have a non traditional system for lateral release. Both the forward and lateral release functions are in the heel piece, and so the toe piece is just a bail. I think this makes people think they won't release but like any other binding they will if set right. I think I remember reading in the instructions for my old 500's that the engineers at silvretta believed that having the release at the back was actually safer, something about being closer to the axis of the leg bones and so less leverage before a release... then again that could be a one of my imaginary factoids with no basis in reality. I do know that I had many a spectacular fall with my 500's and still have my knees intact.

I've got a pair of 2 YO Silveretta All mountains that have never been mounted I'll let go for $200. They are the lighter more touring version of their AT bindings. Size Med fit roughly 280-340 mm boot sole length. Men's 9-13 roughly.

kpicard4 at yahoo dot com

I can get a new pair for $140, but I guess that’s nothing special. I would love to get a set of the Fritschi explorer bindings, but I cant find a used set anywhere. It looks like new is the only real option at the present time.

I have a pair of explorer bindngs (size XL) I can let go for $175. They have been used twice. I switched to Dynafit a few years back and they have been sitting around collecting dust.

I can get a new pair for $140, but I guess that’s nothing special. I would love to get a set of the Fritschi explorer bindings, but I cant find a used set anywhere. It looks like new is the only real option at the present time.

I have a pair of explorer bindngs (size XL) I can let go for $175. They have been used twice. I switched to Dynafit a few years back and they have been sitting around collecting dust.

What size boot do the XL fit?

Well, snodger might be right, but I am not convinced. The angles at which all the Silvretta bindings release are just odd. I have a friend who blew an ACL on perfectly tensioned Pures- it simply never released at the fall angle. Used Titanal IIIs or Explorers are just as affordable, and I trust them way more.

I've been skiing Silvretta 555's for 3 years doing some touring, some ski mountaineering, and mostly lift-assisted in and out of bounds skiing. I have the DIN cranked up to about 10 and have never had any problems coming out of them when I've messed up a turn or failed to land something.

I definitely don't ski as aggressively as some and weigh about 170lbs, but I like stuff like the backcountry at Alpental...

These look old school, but they do have the added benefit of fitting my mountaineering boots if need be (God help you though on the way down). Although I finally got a pair of Dynafit AT boots which climb AND ski well.

Check your boots for size; it's usually printed on the side 0f one of the soles near the heel. Theres sometimes a few other numbers but there should be a three digit number, I think my size 10's are 320?? Not sure and can't check as my boots are up at the mtn right now...