McKenzie Pass, OR

bfiles

A friend approached me about skiing up the closed McKenzie pass highway (OR Highway 242) for some midwinter adventuring/skiing. Has anyone done this/have any thoughts. I've never even driven the road in the summer. He wants to do it as a single overnight from the west side to the summit. It would be his first foray on AT or possibly Telemark skis although he is an accomplished alpine skier. He has no avalanche training and does not own a beacon. I'm mostly interested in thoughts of anyone who's been up there in the winter... also does the terrain demand a beacon/avalanche awareness or can we slog mindlessly up the road without getting dead? He mentioned a shelter of some kind at the top...?

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it!

You will not get avied on, you will have a good time. Dress warm.

Be in condition. McKenzie pass hold a special place in my heart. Many of my now long gone relatives would meet and camp. You might plan a day trip or two to see how you are as partners first.

Have fun! :wave:

Are you thinking about just staying on the road, or deviating off near N. Sister? I looked into getting to N. Sister but it turned out to be miles and miles of skinning, close to 10 or 12 just to the TH. A friend biked the road before it was open to cars in the spring and he said it was amazing!!!