I hate trains / know anything fun to do in NM?

Just had to rant, there are trains LAYING in the horn just outside my window at the shitty super 8 in flagstaff and the window might as well be open it is so noisy!!! GRRRRRRRRR. It is 1 am here!

And,

Work has taken me to New Mexico for a few weeks. Anyone know anything good to fill up an afternoon in the area of Carlsbad, NM? I know the caverns are there and I am hoping to make it to Hueco tanks if I get a weekend, but I am just going to be going insane if I have to watch TV for entertainment.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like campsites in Banff

Sounds like you stayed at the main campground in Lake Louise? Sorry, I should have warned you about that. There are alternatives available that don't necessitate pitching your tent directly between the rails of the transcontinental mainline. Takakkaw, in the Yoho Valley, is by far my favourite, or Mosquito Creek and Protection Mountain are good options too.

Hey 111, not quite as close as Hueco tanks but a lot of fun about 200 miles west of you is Deming. Just north of that you will find City of Rocks park. It is a volcanic gritstone outcropping in bizare shapes sort of like the tuff meets Dr Zuess. I've not ever seen traffic aside from tourons there and well worth the search. You will definatley need the weekend off that you were dreamin of.

sounds like campsites in Banff

Sounds like you stayed at the main campground in Lake Louise? Sorry, I should have warned you about that. There are alternatives available that don't necessitate pitching your tent directly between the rails of the transcontinental mainline. Takakkaw, in the Yoho Valley, is by far my favourite, or Mosquito Creek and Protection Mountain are good options too.

No, I did not stay there. Johnston Canyon. It was nice. The trains didn't bother me that badly. We lit no fires.

I spent many summers down there visiting my grandparents in my youth. Aaaah what fond memories.

I used to hunt for pecos valley diamonds to entertain myself. Maybe you should go do that.

The caverns are definately cool! At least they were at the age of 9. :)