Waterproof breathable membrane comparisons

bellemontagne

I'm buying a paddling jacket, and I have another option besides Gore-Tex. So, has anyone had any experience with Sympatex??? How breathable/waterproof is it compared to the traditional Gore-Tex and the new Gore-

Tex XCR (Extended Comfort Range)? Additionally, has anyone noticed XCR jackets being more breathable than the previous version of Gore-Tex (found in garments with Paclite, For Extreme Wet Weather, and Guaranteed to keep you dry labels)? It is said the membrane is anywhere from 10-40% more breathable depending on the level of activity; however, I am curious to hear people's real world experiences.

I am probably going with the XCR jacket, but I am curious to heat what people have to say about Sympatex and if XCR truly is more breathable.

Thanks again for the advice kids!!!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by bellemontagne:

I'm buying a paddling jacket, and I have another option besides Gore-Tex. So, has anyone had any experience with Sympatex??? How breathable/waterproof is it compared to the traditional Gore-Tex and the new Gore-

Tex XCR (Extended Comfort Range)? Additionally, has anyone noticed XCR jackets being more breathable than the previous version of Gore-Tex (found in garments with Paclite, For Extreme Wet Weather, and Guaranteed to keep you dry labels)? It is said the membrane is anywhere from 10-40% more breathable depending on the level of activity; however, I am curious to hear people's real world experiences.

I am probably going with the XCR jacket, but I am curious to heat what people have to say about Sympatex and if XCR truly is more breathable.

Thanks again for the advice kids!!!!

It may be a little more breathable, but the fact is that it still won't breathe well enough for you to stay dry. I'd be more focused on weight, ventilation (I just about never close my pit zips), and other features.

But I'm just talking out of my ass... I have not tried all the fancy variations of Goretex.

Thanks for the advice Gary...

I am really interested if anyone has firsthand experience with the new XCR membrane as well as Sympatex. It would be great to know just how breathable Sympatex is compared to XCR, and just how breathable the XCR is over the older Gore-Tex membrane.

Unfortunately, paddling jackets do not have pit zips, so membrane breathablity is pretty important.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used a Kokatat Gore-Tex drytop for kayaking and have had no complaints. For a paddling jacket (which generally means you are accepting getting a little damp when kayaking, I don't see the need to go with super-expensive materials. The old thin nylon Patagonia paddling jacket was great, I thought. Since you live in Eugene, I've made good use of the drytop on many a McKenzie R. trip in high school. :-) That's some cold H20.

I have used sympatex for years. Myself and a couple of my friends got a deal on bibs made from sympatex about five years...maybe six years ago.

I found them to be more breathable than regular goretex (No experience with the new shit, XCR) but not so much so that I praised the stuff. It is my understanding that it is not as susectable to getting "clogged up", so to speak, by salt in human sweat. Apparently goretex does have a tendancy to get clogged up with the salt in human sweat and sympatex does not. I'm no chemist, so don't quote me on that.

My overall impressions of the membrane are mostly positive, though as other shave said, nothing breaths so wel that you won't get wet.

I ended up purchasing a Mountain Surf Sympatex touring Parka. What sealed the deal for me was its ease to get on and off, fit, and price (I was able to get it 20% off). I have used it on two trips, and I was very pleased. The conditions were warmish, so I sweat more than I would have in cooler conditions. All in all I am very pleased.

The Kokatat TecTour Parka is a nice jacket, but simply wasn't for me. It runs a little small for its size and does not have enough room for layering. The wrist gaskets are way too F*CKING tight and do not loosen up. It was also a BEAR to get on and off.

The Kokatat rep did mention that people notice XCR Gore-Tex is noticeably more breathable than previous versions. I've also heard from others that XCR isn't noticeably more breathable. Who knows? It would be nice if Gore had technical performance specifics on their membrane just like Sympatex does.