[TR] Needles - Martin Pk. routes, know 'em? 8/22/2007

OrygunJim

Trip: Needles - Martin Pk. routes, know 'em?

Date: 8/22/2007

Trip Report:

Took a trip to Royal and the Needles this week. After scrambling around the area I am left with quality memories and a few unanswered questions. I found the Olympic Mts. Climbing guide 4th ed. not so helpful on this foray into the hills. The drawing on page 148 was useful only for gross navigation and not more detailed beta. Also, previous posts regarding this area are few, and possibly erroneous. Help a fella out if you've been here and know for sure.

Arrowhead, largest free pillar on the east side of Martin, or the sharp pillar underneath Incisor?

Royal_Basin_07_046.jpg

Another post suggests Arrowhead is the fang-like spire under the Incisor, but that approach wouldn't jive with the guide.

Royal_Basin_07_047.jpg

This pic seemed to represent the book's description "Guarding Martin Pk's E. face, it towers over surprise basin and is seen prominently from Royal Lake". Routes begin at notch between Martin and Arrowhead.

Royal_Basin_07_048.jpg

View of Martin from Surprise Pass looking S. (Toward Deception, not pictured) What I believe to be Arrowhead is the leftmost spire in this pic.

Royal_Basin_07_073.jpg

Also, other than the one post in the archive, anyone know about these routes on the E. side of Mt. Clark? Despite the poor reviews of most Olympic rock, the formations here seem surprisingly solid, probably 3-4 pitches depending on start point.

Royal_Basin_07_052.jpg

We had a kick ass time and as many alpine endeavors end up, we learned a lot for next time. We'll go back and that's why I'm interested in other experiences. I wanna climb them all, but want to go with good info.

Approach Notes:

Royal Creek via Dungeness TH.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be a little confusing discerning which pinnacles are which from below. Once you get up higher it becomes clearer what is what.

Your first photo shows the Arrowhead prominently there near the middle.

The second shot shows the Incisor, the fang below is an unnamed point of rock.

Third pic again is Arrowhead, I assume you took from Surprise Basin.

Fourth pic, you are correct, Arrowhead is the one on the left side.

Yes, for the Olympics, the rock is fairly decent in the Needles. Great area, fun climbs, generally empty of others and real scenic.