Touring Kayaks...

bellemontagne

Now this is WAY off topic [Eek!] but does anyone have any advice on buying a touring kayak?

Here's the deal. I am planning on purchasing a touring kayak for day and overnight use on lakes and rivers. I doubt I will use it much in the ocean.

Right now, I've narrowed it down to several models such as Perception's Carolina and Captiva, Prijon's Calabria and Yukon Expedition, and the Necky Zoar Sport. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with these boats? Does anyone have any other touring kayaks they would like to recommend? I'm going to rent a couple of these before I buy, but any helpful information or product opinions would be great.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

in a word, "used". Otherwise, without info on your experience and weight, particulars aren't too helpful.

Sorry...

I'm pretty much a beginner to sea kayaking having been an avid canoer back in the day. I'm a pretty big guy 5'10" ~ 210lbs, so a kayak with a large cockpit and good weight capacity. I'm planning on doing day trips as well as overnights on flatwater rivers. I'm not planning on taking it out into any serious ocean surf. I'm more interested in having a stable boat, and I am willing to sacrifice a little on the performance end.

Anything else you need to know?

• 4 weeks later...

Check out Mariner Kayaks (only on Westlake in Seattle). They also have a good website. If you are big you probably want the Mariner Max. This is both stable and very maneuverable. It is a great boat. Like all Mariners it doesn't need a rudder and so is particularly good for river use. The coaster or the Express are also great choices.