Who skied this line on Hood??

mwills

So i skied the West Crater on Hood Friday morning (5/18) as part of the Wang Dang Doodle.

While we climbed up the east side of CR, I skied the green line shown below. However, once below CR, I took the green line instead of the red line that i had been following. it looked to be a few days old...

Who skied this line and where did you go? it did look impressive.

Also, anyone familiar with this ski descent, does the traditional descent go through the bottom of the Crater? that seems to be the obvious path, but it is melted out at the moment. The face at the bottom of the descent shown below is pretty steep.

westcraterskidescent2te4.jpg

Edited by mwills

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Also, anyone familiar with this ski descent, does the traditional descent go through the bottom of the Crater? "

Absolutely not. Its pretty much always melted out like that, and unstable. From Pearly Gates/base of hogsback you can usually ski easily down the E side of Crater Rock (basic S Side climbing route) or from the Old Chute the line in green that you have shown here.