climbing crampons for kids.

Terminal_Gravity

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the Charlet Moser Argentero.

They only have 10 points, but they seem like a reasonable choice. Charlet claims they adjust down to size 29, compared to size 36 for their S-12's. Argentero's are available in strap on, rapid fix and bail models.

Unsure where you can find them in the PNW or Canada, but perhaps try the web.

Best of luck. Wish I could have started at that age!

GB

Actually, I just checked and the Charlet Ecrin will adjust down to a men's 5. If nothing else they have a very short forward structure that should prove to be a key element in finding something that fits super small feet. Perhaps they've replaced the Argentero? $100.00 CDN at MEC.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: fishstick ]

I was bored at work today and found myself staring at crampons when one of them caught my eye. dont know if we just got them in or if Ive overlooked them in the past.

Anyway, grivel G10 newclassics are 10pts, claim to fit anysize shoe or boot, 4 diff. choices of binding systems, short non-aggressive points. The info sheet on them also says they work well for women and children.

I got curious, so went into the ski area and picked up a size 3 boot (classic). They fit perfectly. Two problems, one is that the tip of the ski boot was a bit longer than the front points. Im not much of a skier, but I wonder if you could find some used backcountry ski boots that small? The tips might not protrude as far. On the otherhand if they fit any shoe or boot (as they claim) you could probly find something more suitable. The other problems is when you adjust them to such a small size the extra metal in the back (not sure what its called) sticks out a couple inches. You would maybe have to cut part of it. Might not be the greatest for vertical ice, but it would be something! smile.gif" border="0 We sell them for 99 bucks, which Im sure is standard all over.You can read more about them at:Grivel G10 newclassics

Maybe you already found some...either way, this topic has come up before so maybe someone will find the info helpful. smile.gif" border="0

carolyn

The Grivel G-10 crampon, is not really intended for climbing. The crampon is really for glaciertravel or low,low angle snow climbing(certainlynot ice!), this is why it has "non aggressive"points and only 10 of them. The SMC fully hinged,strap-on crampon(in a S or XS), would be a much better choice. I see so many people using the G-10 for climbing, in places the crampon reallydoesn't belong; what is going to happen when theyhit ice? Hit ice doing a plunge step or ATTEMPTINGto French technique? That's why they aren't foranything more than low angled, mild snow climbs orglacier travel. Having worked in retail climbingsales before, it pains me to see sales people selling products to the customer, that don't fitthe needs of the customer, or describing a productsperformance/abilities without fully being educatedon the product. Even a large company like REI havemade this mistake; they replaced their rental crampon,which used to be the SMC strap-on, with the G-10.Now all kinds of G-10's are going boldly, I meanblindly, to climbs where they don't belong. Alsobad, is going to buy the cheapest product on themarket; you buy those G-10's and that ice axe withthe aluminum head on it and it is going to comearound and bite you is the ass eventually. To purchase the gear, that is correct for the given application, you can't always be looking to "buycheap"; you get what you pay for and are informedabout. mad.gif" border="0

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Richard Pumpington ]

Richard, I appreciate your input and giving further information on what the G10's are for. Im not suggesting everyone go out and buy these. In fact I incl. in my response that they would not be the best thing for climbing.It was a 'thought' for someone looking to put a 7 yr old in some crampons. There arent many options when it comes to that. I was also including the cost as a general guideline. As we know kids grow. SOme people dont seem to mind constantly replacing new articles of clothing as a child grows. Other people prefer to go w/"hand me downs" or a cheaper version of something. I wasnt byany means trying to encourage buying a pair of crampons just because they are "cheap".

Basically, my intentions were/are not to "sell". Rather, I was trying to "suggest" ideas, since that is what TG was asking for. I fully trust that he (or anyone else) will do his own research and come to his own conclusion as to what would the best all around choice.

Im far from knowing what i need to know about gear (part of the reason I post on here is to learn). I would NEVER put myself in a situation at the store where I would try and sell a product to someone that i dont know about. Much better to grab anther person in the store who might know more, or refer the customer to a couple different resources to do some research on their own as well. Ive been sold too many things on "biased" or "uneducated" opinions, myself.

This isnt to start a debate. Just to clarify WHY I posted the information. I would be curious what suggestions you have for kids crampons.

I apologize for any misinformation I may have given.

Well, it looks like its time for the midwest holiday festivities to begin....

Hope you all have/had a great one!

carolyn

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: carolyn ]