Snowboarding the SOUTH SISTER

simonscg

hey, so i've been invited to climb the south sister near bachelor this weekend and i wanted to know what you guys think. is this too early in the season for this?? i know that they have the whole trip planned out including trail and route information.

if i go i would be getting snowshoes, boots, and crampons, and an ice axe. is there anything else that i would need?? my snowboard will be attached securely to my backpacking backpack and everything else will be inside my backpack.

as far as me...i am in good shape and consider myself capable of the climb. i just haven't done any snow climbing or hiking before so i'm not really sure what to expect. and my friends haven't climbed this particular mountain prior.

does anyone have any suggestions, cautions, route considerations??? basically anything that will assure my safety. i am very cautious and don't take unnecessary risks so i just want to make sure that i'm not getting myself into one.

oh also i am a very good snowboarder..

thanks!!

chris

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How about an Avy transceiver, probe pole, and snow shovel for starters............these aren't groomers you will be riding!

You can find info on avalanche conditions Here

Secondly, know how to use your equipment. See the story from the latest Mt. Hood rescue.

South Side, depending on which route you do, is not very technical and is probably a good first volcano climb. As long as the people you are going with have some experience you could be alright. Most important thing is to listen to yourself and only do what feels comfortable. if you feel like you are in over your head, turn around. Otherwise have fun and be safe.

No one can tell you f you are ready for a trip up S. Sister except you.

if i go i would be getting snowshoes, boots, and crampons, and an ice axe. is there anything else that i would need??

Make sure that the crampons you get WILL fit on you snowboarding boots, if that is what you intend to climb in. Most strap ons do not fit very well on snowboarding boots because they are so wide.

my snowboard will be attached securely to my backpacking backpack and everything else will be inside my backpack.

A good reason why I have a split board... No need to pack it. Split it, skin it... No need for snowshoes either...

as far as me...i am in good shape and consider myself capable of the climb. i just haven't done any snow climbing or hiking before so i'm not really sure what to expect. and my friends haven't climbed this particular mountain prior.

That is all I really have to add to what Ryland said...