Looking for David Oldridge...

JosephH

Hi,I'm posting on behalf of Stephane Pennequin of the "Nut Museum" in Corsica, France who is trying to locate a Brit transplant to Canada named David Oldridge relative to the history around gear he produced from his two gear companies, 'Canadian Alpine Manufacturing' (Victoria, BC) and I think, 'International Climbing Equipment'. Anyone here know him, about him, or any other old timers who might?

Thanks much,

Joseph

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that post. Who is John Molenaar? Is he around? I just got some word that David may be in Las Vegas these days...

Well John was a climber friend but I think he finally grew up and got a job - I haven't seen him for maybe 20 years. Did some climbs in Squamish and Leavenworth with him. Anyway as I recall he was in business making equipment with Dave for awhile - they produced a simplified "friend" like piece with only two cams instead of four, but the cams were extended. Really not a true camming device except in totally parallel cracks. I used it a bit a Squamish if I recall rightly, as sort of an expandible stopper rather than as a cam. But it's been a long time now...

Thanks, always interested to hear the stories. I take it you're still at it up there. Is there climbing there around Victoria proper or do you mainly go to Squamish? I've been here in the NW for quite awhile and embarrassed to say I've yet to make it up that way. Still hope to at some point.

I’ll try to scan one of the cams tonight. I believe the intent was to marry a TCU to an old style forged Friend. The stem was designed to be the middle cam – albeit fixed. Their looks did not inspire confidence, but I used them more than once figuring something is often better than nothing. I bought mine in the parking lot but soon saw ads in several magazines. Almost immediately there were reports of serious quality issues and the company and cams soon disappeared. I think at some point that they might have switched from producing a Friend/TCU hybrid to producing a straight TCU design.

Thanks, always interested to hear the stories. I take it you're still at it up there. Is there climbing there around Victoria proper or do you mainly go to Squamish?

I don't climb myself these days due to a wrecked up foot which won't let me stand on holds anymore, not to mention advanced age and weight. There is lots of climbing around Victoria if you know where to look, and there is even a Guide available at a couple of the local shops. However I wouldn't come here just for the sake of the climbing since in quantity it's minute compared to, say, Squamish.

On the other hand there are areas like East Sooke Park with huge untapped potential, but untapped for a reason, it being hard to get to and involving lots of walking. Also the potential does not really include more than a couple of pitches at the most, and very little of more than one. But if you want one pitch sport climbing potential and don't mind exploring and hiking (and scrubbing and bolting), East Sooke Park has hundreds of potential routes.

There's a web site on Vancouver Island climbing, including Victoria, at islandclimbing.com