Another Loss in PNW Mountaineering History

Doug

Dick McGowan of Berkely, CA passed away at the end of February. Dick was the chief guide on Mt. Rainier from 1956 - 1965. Among his accomplishments was the first ascent of Mt. Cook in Alaska with Pete Schoening. In his later years Dick ran an adveture travel company out of Berkley. R.I.P. Dick, we'll miss you! :brew:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met Dick McGown when I attended the first "Mt Rainer Climbing Seminar" which was held July 20-24 1962 - Besides Dick the other two instructers were Pete Shoening and Lute Jerstad - As I was in

my third year of climbing, these three fellows were my hero's, and

they still are - I also will miss Dick, as I do Pete and Lute..

Thanks for remembering, guys. Dick McGowan was my father, and of course my climbing coach. When I have an obituary, hopefully soonish, I'll post it here. I'm currently planning to be at the upcoming AAC shindig in Bend, Oregon, so maybe I'll see some folks there to drink a toast.

Did Dick McGowan run the Alpine Hut in Seattle at one time? I remember reading that somewhere, but maybe I have the names mixed up. I remember Gary Rose mentioning that he guided for Dick McGowan on Mt Rainier in the late 1950s. I'm sorry that I never had the chance to meet him. My condolences to his family and friends.