sleeping bag systems

geordie

What do folks use for sleeping bag systems? My old bag is losing loft and life. I was thinking of a light 800 down bag for summer with a synthetic overbag or add-on for winter or cold climbs. I'm a cold sleeper so despite Twight's precedence I won't be taking the 25 deg bag to Alaska. As always light weight and price are factors.

thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I use an Ushba down bag for the Summer, it weighs 1.4 pounds and is very compact. Combined with all the clothes you bring on a trip its right for anything in the Cascades from March to October. My girlfriend uses an Integral Designs synthetic bag that is also very light and compact; both purchased from Jim Nelson.

In the Winter I use a North Face Superlight down bag, bought 1994. I've slept in it (rated 5'F) down to -20'F without too much difficulty.

In Alaska I used a Dryloft -25'F down bag. It was slightly warmer than the Superlight, but the dryloft was the key. The temps never got below -30'C.

If you only have the budget for one purchase, I would suggest a Marmot, Feathered Friends, or similar quality 20'F down bag. Dryloft is only useful if you don't use a tent much (I use a tent).

Alex