Road side WX stations near Lillooet

jmace

This is my initial attempt at trying to record some temps around lillooet to get a better picture of the temps for ice climbing. For now I have to manually record them beacause the past data is not available to the public. I am working on this with some friends at EC and BC Hydro to try and get the full 24 hour set each day. I am able to record from 10 am-6pm mon-fri. I think you should be able to interpolate overnight temps by looking at the morning and evening temps.

I have Cayoosh summit 1300m, Rambles are at 1000m

I have Carpenter Lake, which lies at the end of the Bridge River climbs

Jack Ass is the Final one and may help with the Fraser Canyon Climbs.

Im not the best with Excel, but heres what I got, ill update this at the end of each week.

Cheers

J

Feb 5th- 9th

3690-IceClimbingRoadTemperatures.xls

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jmace is putting a bit too much work into this.

leave it to the climbers themselves, I say.

the site is:

http://www.weatheroffice.pyr.ec.gc.ca/icbctravelalert/dtables_e.html

when the site comes up:

1. mouse-click on the map in the area of interest (i.e., for Lillooet area, click roughly halfway between Vancouver and Kamloops).

2. when the magnifying glass comes up, re-centre it if you want, then click again.

3. when the detail map comes up, check off 'high passes' on 'geography' and 'road weather' on 'stations' on the left sidebar.

4. mouse onto desired station and click to get info (e.g., Cayoosh Summit, 1300m on Duffey lake road, about 40km west of the Rambles; or Carpenter Lake, at west end of Bridge River canyon).

the info is current; there is no history. however, if you're considering an ice climbing trip and the weather is warmish, having a look in the morning, then again in mid-afternoon, will tell a pretty good story.

for instance, Cayoosh is 0.3C at 5pm Weds Feb 14 - there won't have been much melt up there today - yesterday it got to about 2C mid-afternoon. and it has been below freezing at nite. provided tommorrow and Friday are similar, there'll still be fine ice-climbing to be had this weekend.

on the other hand, Carpenter Lake is 3.8C at 5pm, and was around 3C yesterday afternoon. it's gonna be dubious in the Bridge...

p.s. Begbie Summit (1240m, between Clinton and 100 Mile House) is a decent indicator for Marble Canyon. it is -0.3C today at 5pm, and didn't get above about -3C yesterday. M/C is doing fine so far...

enjoy, cheers, don