Steinbok, West Ridge

This is the descent route for the Northeast Buttress, but is still a fun day of adventuring. We drove the 4WD section in my 2WD Toyota, but we bottomed out a couple times. The road/trail after that is brushy and is wet in the morning. At the end of the switchbacks tend up and left to large talus and make your way to the col between Steinbok and Ibex(2-3 hrs from car). Sounds easy for Becky, except for the brush is very thick and the terrain is pretty steep at times. I got stung by 2 wasps and got laughed at big time by my partner as I ran from the nest at light speed. Once at the col(good rest spot), there is some route finding to do to keep things 3rd-4th class. We did not need a rope and tennis shoes worked just fine. Negotiate through the interesting slabs and brush to the top. I found the easiest route from the col was this: Head towards the center of the backside of Steinbok, head up and right a short ways, then go back left to the ridge. Be careful here, because the drop is big. Scamble to the top 20-40 ft. from the edge in a small gully. The veiw from this amazing chunk of granite is huge. It took us 6 hours R.T. (including the nap at the col). If anyone knows of a trail, PLEASE TELL! Thanks,

Bill

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic