Russian pro?

SMU

Hi,

I'm new to these forums, and thought I'd start with a gear question.

My Brother just gave me a sack of unused stoppers and cams, stuff he got from a friend about 5 years ago. It was apparently bought in Russia, and most pieces have "Kouba" stamped on them. Anybody have experience with this brand? I bought some Russian-made Ti screws about 15 years ago, and soon heard stories of how they would facture and break, so I'm wondering about this new kit!

Cheers,

Scott

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Try posting on this forum:

http://www.go-elbrus.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.pl

It's a russian guiding outfit's forum page, most of the content is in Russian but a lot of them can read english and you may get some replies. Gets a lot of traffic. A lot of the banter at this time of year is re: skiing conditions and logistics for Mount Elbrus. But maybe someone there could identify the brand and direct to to their or their distrubutor's site. I have seen that Russian pro while over there, but never used it. Super light. But I'd almost think of it as leaver gear too, I don't know if I'd trust it to falls (at least the stuff I've seen).

Edited by crazy_t

I have some ruski screws that are a couple years old (so maybe they are a newer style?). They have cofee grinders and seem to place reasonably well. I would (and have) trusted them on lead. Much better than my crapy $10 REI leaver screws.

Can they compete with something like a BD screw? No. But for they are light weight and pretty inexpensive.

With that being said, if I were doing some shit were a long fall was a pretty decent possibilty, I'd probably go with a nice strong, KNOWN screw.

>I have seen that Russian pro while over there, but never used >it. Super light.

Thanks for the tip: I posted the same question there, and we'll see what happens . . . As for the strength, the stoppers appear robust, although the cams are somewhat lighter than my old set of Friends. (Of course, almost all NEW cams are lighter than my old Friends!)

Cheers,

Scott