boot liner question

gruntlet

Ok...my first pair of plastics and I'm a little in the dark. That being said, after years of cold wet feet a couple days out ...I've had enough. So I spent the dough on a pair of Lowe Civettas. I want to use them mostly for late spring-fall fun and games no higher than 14k.

My question is this...how much pack out should I expect from the liner in these boots? I am right on the edge with this liner, with my big toe in the left boot just hitting the front of liner.

I would call it a performance fit with a hiker weight smart wool and liner sock combo. The shell doesnt seem to be any issue with the liner hitting the front, and passes the two finger fit test. The heel fits great with little lift, and no real pressure points.

If the liner slightly packs out front to back creating just a wee bit (and I mean wee wee bit) more room I would be golden, but I dont know what to expect. My great fear is if I go up a half size I will be in hiker hell with blisters and heel lift.

I ordered these Lowa boots size uk 9 / us 10 like my street shoes. If they were leather I would say NFG, but Im just not sure in this realm.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they do pack out. i worry more about going too large. also if there is just one little spot you can get the plastic stretched at that spot at some ski shops. i've also heard of people using hair dryers to do it themselves. not sure about that.

also, as mentioned, the intution liners can replace the stock liners later and you'll want the smaller shell for that.

i have a custom footbed i switch from boot to boot and that also affects the fit, including the feel of volume.

I believe the Civettas have too small a profile for the Intuition Liners to fit, but may be worth a try - the liners in the Civettas are quite thin. Just make sure your toes don't get hammered going downhill. I had Civettas that I fit for climbing, but the fit turned out to be brutal for long trips. If I where to do it over I would try sizing them larger. The inner boot laces well and should be able to set your heel when sized to make room for toes. As Mark says, you can get them stretched although, I understand that stretching length wise is limited.

Edited by gary_hehn

Thanks for the responses all.

Wearing these stinky new boots up and down the carpeted stairs like a moron is getting me nowhere.

The only way to tell if I really have a problem is clamp on some snowshoes and put in a few steep up and down miles this weekend.

Hell of a excuse to get out anyway :)