Bears in Goat Rocks?

TheBootfitter

I've been poking around a bit, but can't find any specific information about bears in the Goat Rocks area. Should I be concerned at all with regard to protecting food? Or is the lack of information indication that there is a lack of ursa?

What have y'all done in the area to protect food from bears or other critters? Canisters? Ursacks? Crittersacks? In pictures, I don't see many trees to hang anything from.

I'll be heading up there this weekend. Any feedback is appreciated!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there July 4 2005, and there were reports of bear activity in the valley just to the west of the one with snowgrass flats and goat lake. However, (for example) in all the years of Mt. Rainier Natl. Park, there's been gazillions of sightings and not a single attack, so you're not likely to have a problem as long as you don't slather yourself in bacon grease and huckleberries. Hang up your food and enjoy a beautiful area of washington!

Edit: with regard to the perceived lack of trees, there does tend to be some correlation to the thickness of the forest and the aspect of a slope near the treeline in that area, but I don't think you'll have any real trouble finding trees below the treeline.

Edited by ClimbingPanther

Its not an unusual thing folks....Its's time for bears to ready themselves for winter.....

I wouldnt be surprised if a bear sighting culminates into a bear attack up on the summit.....that would be the darnest thing to explain to the park service.