How long can I leave my down bag compressed?

wfinley

How anal are you about leaving your down sleeping bags / coats compressed? I'm talking about big warm (-20 down) sleeping bags and big warm jackets (the Icefall and Ion) .

I know you're not supposed to -- but how many days before it's considered really bad? 2 days? 10 days?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

........"Really Bad"= Anal x 2 Days

Seriously, I don't think there is a clear cut answer, however.....

I stuff my gear at the trail head, and however long it takes to get to my chosen camp is how long it's stuffed.

I made the mistake of stuffing the heck out of my -20 bag for a 16 hr transit to Mckinley, left it as is, at base camp hours after arriving, it was no fun making that puppy spring back into shape.......

......Compress+Time+Lack of Anality+Cold= No Fun

16 hrs? Wow... I routinely leave mine compressed for 2 1/2 days and it hasn't seemed to suffer too much. Let's say your flight is 36 hours, followed by 12 hours in a hotel, followed by another 4 hour flight. Would you unpack and fluff while in the hotel room (for that 12 hr period) or would you just worry about it when you reach your final destination?

When I was a kid, my dad gave me his down bag b/c I didn't have the money to buy one. It had been compressed in its little aqua green stuff sack since the early seventies--about ten or fifteen years. I cleaned it and aired it out.

I still use it as a back up occasionally.

I used his thermarest until it finally died the weekend before last cry.gif. Stuff has a lot longer life span than we think it does...

It depends. Down is routinely transported by condensing it to the density of a brick, then shipped for days/weeks at a time with no loss of loft. However, it's perfectly clean. If you take a dirty sleeping bag full of body grease, cooties, spilled soup and whatever else and keep it stuffed with that stuff degrading the down inside, it will certainly affect it negatively.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Wood Brothers Egyptian cotton shell - eider down bag circa 1922. I still use it occassionally in the summer. It was compressed in it's attached stuff sack for around 45 years when I pulled it from an inlaw's attic. Gave it a day and all the loft returned. True Goose down is incredible stuff. I keep it in a storage bag now. It survived two kid's worth of sleepovers over the last 10 years, plus the occasional outdoor journey. Hemmingway raves about a bag like this in "For Whom the Bell Tolls" but mine is a little mummy bag. I can't imagine squeezing two people in there to feel the earth move, as he describes with much detail.