Need info for Labor Day South Sister Summit

Kevepar

I just moved to the area, and am planning on using this coming weekend to climb south sister. Can anyone point me to pertinent references, etc., with regards to maps, routes, camping, etc. Specifics are greatly encouraged. I've viewed as many web sites as possible, and all seem to be personal accounts (all of which are interesting and inspiring) which lack in most tangible info. I'm sure, in the grand scheme of things, I can figure it out when I get there, but the more info I have prior to arrival, the better.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

The more, the merrier!

Thanks... snaf.gifrockband.gif

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drive to the TH, self-register for a permit to camp at the lake (get there early - busy weekend and you may not get a permit) set up camp. Leave early in the morning and hike to the top. Findmesh the day off with a swim in the lake. If you can't get a permit to camp, then do it in a single push from the TH. Enjoy!

Reasonable beta here:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150455/south-sister.html

It's super easy to navigate. Just get on the dirt highway at Devil's Lake TH and follow the crowds north.

For car camping - Devil's Lake (right at the TH) or Sparks Lake (couple miles East) are good bets. You can also backcountry camp (I like Green Lakes area) but I forget how much red tape is involved. You could always call the ranger station and ask.