Old Snowy, Johnson Peak beta

alienPDX

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite areas in the state, enjoy the hike. Old Snowy is as mentioned is mearly a scramble, but fun with great views of Rainier, Adams, St. Helens and Hood in the distance. Last time I was there I went up Hawkeye point which you have to walk over to get to Johnson from Snowgrass flats and from what I could see there appears to be a small trail to the top.

Be sure to bring a camera.

Enjoy. [Cool]

Old Snowy is a big pile of rocks with a trail up one side. We had planned to camp at the west base of it, so dropped our packs and just climbed up the rock (mostly 1-3' dia rocks as I remember) slope to the top. Then walked down the trail. No big deal.

When I was there a year ago, there were people everywhere. Don't expect a wilderness experience unless you are willing to camp on the east side (steep snow if I remember).

quote:

Originally posted by alienPDX:

help me avoid the crowds over Labor Day!

Avoiding Crowds, even in the Goat Rocks, on Labor Day weekend will be difficlut. I would suggest not going to Suprise Lake, Snowgrass Flats or McCall Basin. McCall Basin actuallly might not be too bad if you are the first ones there and grab the big main camping spot. It does put you in a nice position to hike up Old Snowy and Ives both easily done together in a day. The basin also has good access to water. I would go in Thursday night or VERY early Friday morning in order to get their first.

Coming in from the east Warm Lake or the area immediately north of the Meade Glacier moraine are great places to camp, off the beaten path with easy scrambling up Curtis Gilbert, but you will definately be putting up with people and horses (and cows in Conrad Meadows) during the hike in and out.

And then there is also the high traverse from Bear Creek thru the Devils Horns .....If you want more beta send me a PM

Wes