Goat Rocks

I know its not likely but has anyone been in this area lately? I am espically curious how much snow is still up there. I would like to take a bunch of non-climbers there for an overnighter the first of june. If needed we will take Snowshoes but, I'm most concerned about getting to the Snowgrass trail head. Any info? Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Go North Fork of the Tieton if you want to head into the western portion of the "range" (Old Snowy, Ives, The Horns).

If your object is Gilbert Curtis early June go in thru the South Fork and Surprise Lake. For "newbies" Surprise Lake makes a pleasant camp and Gilbert is a nice day trip. With longer days ahead a good method for Gilbert Curtis is leave trailhead early, hit Surprise, dump your overnight gear, take off with day pack and you can be back to camp by night fall. If your "newbies" are in good shape I would suggest camping above Surprise @ Warm Lake (more of a pond, but this time of year it will be covered by snow).

Given all of this McCall Basin is a great camp however you loose out on the sunsets. If you like sunsets and are going for the west end consider staying high and going to Elk Pass

I just started to do a bit of reasearch on this for a trip over Memorial Day. Snowgrass Flats and North Tieton River Road to McCall Basin are the two routes I've been given information on. Apparently, the McCall Basin route is supposed to be a shorter approach this time of year, but I still need to check on the status of the road into Chambers Lake. I've been given a number for the Packwood Ranger Dist. of the GP: (360)494-5515. Haven't hade a chance to confirm the number or follow up yet. Let me know if you get any other useful information.