• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
snoboy

Another legend passes on...

What a great man. Here's my favorite quote from the CMH tribute:

“In the end, to ski is to travel fast and free - free over the untouched snow covered country. To be bound to one slope, even to one mountain, by a lift may be convenient but it robs us of the greatest pleasure that skiing can give, that is, to travel through the wide wintry country; to follow the lure of the peaks which tempt on the horizon and to be alone for a few days or even a few hours in, clear, mysterious surroundings.”

--Hans Gmoser

I spent a week in the Canadian Rockies backcountry with Hans in the 70s. We climbed a half dozen virgin peaks with Margaret and others. I was profoundly influenced by his attitude of enjoying the mountains, his cool demeanor and hilarious campfire tales. He took us to meet Edward Feuz jr. in 1977 when he was like 94, an unforgettable experience.

It's sad to hear of Hans' passing at such a young age.