Mountain Hardware EV 2/3...is it good?

mclay

I wanted to get a single walled tent that I could slug up Shasta or Rainier. I looked at some Biblers, but they were relatively more expensive, plus you have to seam seal them. As for the EV2/3, I've read very few postings about them. One reviewer hated the integrated vestibule because snow always got inside the tent. Not to mention, how do you cook in it? I'm used to cooking in a vestibule with out a floor, just snow. What do you folks think?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think it is any better or worse than the I-tent.

but heavier!

A friend who works climbing retail had the following experience testing this tent:

EV2 had much condensation inside, while a Bibler tent on the same trip/conditions did not

I dont think it is any better or worse than the I-tent.

but heavier!

A friend who works climbing retail had the following experience testing this tent:

EV2 had much condensation inside, while a Bibler tent on the same trip/conditions did not

Hear is the weight comparison:

Eldorado (4 lb 8 oz)

I-Tent (4 lb 5 oz)

EV2 (4.87 lb)

So yeah the EV2 is slightly heavier smile.gif , But the EV2 is larger due to the built in VESTE.

Size comparison (floor space):

Eldorado (30.2sq ft)

I-Tent (27.2sq ft)

EV2 (31sq ft)

So the EV2 is the largest, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

As far as the condensation, both will have condensation its just how life is... Bilber has cool fuzzy fabric on the inside to battle actually getting wet so that is nice, but the EV2 has a lot better vents for superior ventilation durring cooking and such. I have always just cooked inside the tent with no worries. I hope this helps...

Thanks for the info you guys. Also, I live in the San Francisco Bay area and I cannot find a shop that has the EV2/3 in stock. Please let me know if there is such a shop. Once again, thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Mike