Ruth Mountain Information

Stefani

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there with some friends about a month ago. There was still lots of snow a mile before the parking lot, but the snow and weather conditions sucked and we didn't get too far up the trail. There were several avy debris fields before hitting the switchbacks, which is where we turned around.

Since it was a month ago I know this doens't help much but I can give you some advice having doing that hike/climb several times. Give yourself plent of time, it's a longer trip than it looks. If you aren't on skis you may want snowshoes or you are in for some serious posthole pain.

The Ruth Glacier should not be a problem, there aren't really any crevasses from what I remember. The only "sketchy" part of the whole trip is the little traverse from the top of the climbers trail from Hannegan Pass that leads around that hill onto the glacier. One time when we did it that part was incredibly icy, and if you slip and can't stop your are in for a serious ride over a cliff. I would think this early though it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this help, Jon