GREAT GEAR - lots of it!! Some REVISED $$$ *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

kola

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mountain Hardwear Tent Coupler can be purchased from MBstores.com for less. I bought one a couple of years ago and I've never used it either. The tent is an interesting ideal but who wants to carry an extra 4 lbs into the backcountry when a tarp weighing less then a pound will work. The pricing on the rest of your stuff looks good.

Hey, thanx for the info. I appreciate your feedback re: Coupler.

I didn't research $$$ but I agree, used (even "as new")should be less than new.

As for weight, for me, 4lbs. was worth getting the roominess and weather protection. The Coupler looks pretty stout and seems like it would withstand a lot of use. In addition, its big enough to store a bike laying flat (or, Geo metro???) as well as sleep; store all your gear, pack etc. w/ room to spare.

At the time I bought it, my wife and I had 1-person tents and this was to join them for storage and cooking. Total weight was less than a 2-person tent w/ same space. Plus, our dogs could still sleep there and be close to us w/o the beasts (x3)getting in our sleeping bags. But, we just never got things going, sold the 1-person, etc., etc., etc.

Long story short, I'd take a reasonable offer on the Coupler = a little $$$ but asking folks to remember that it is still "as new." I'll do 1/2 shipping $$$ to keep my Coupler a better deal than MB or others.

Again, thanks.

Cheers,

Kola

You're right about potential "steaming up" problems. If I had used it for any major culinary adventures, I wouldn't have pitched it completely to the ground on the sides and would also have left the end flaps open a bit. Of course, if the weather sucks and everything has to be buttoned up --- I can smell an epic cooking!!! --- you can always go with the Power Bars and Gu you've kept in your pocket!

Cheers

There are no "end flaps", i.e. there is an open doorway at each end (meant to 'fit' with two tents). But you're correct in the sense that adding flaps would be the way to go to control a cool cross draft. That's yet another alteration I eventually plan to make to it.

Guess what, mine have them! Or, I'm dreamim'! Maybe we have a semantics error.

On my Coupler, there are 2 triangular flaps attached to the end seam on each side of the main canopy, front and rear. There are "O" rings sewn at the bottom. Using stakes, I could open these flaps up or bring them to the middle and essentially close both ends - there is no zipper but I think it will close enough to keep inside protected.

No need for any modification, as that's how it came. That's why it could be used as stand alone shelter that is reasonable weather resistant - for a floor-less structure.

One thing for sure, it would be a heck of a lot better that the last open bivi I had.......

Anyway, PaulO, hope your works well enough that you don't need an umbrella inside.

If anyone's listening, take heart, the Coupler will work for just about anything you want.

You're dreaming... or it's a semantics error. Set your coupler tent up and you'll see that it does not have flaps... they are the walls that are supposed to be positioned on either side of a Trango style tent vestibule.

Bringing the ends together will sitll leave a large opening. Over lapping the ends to remove the opening will reduce the size of the inner space to the point you can't stretch out to sleep in. But that's a secondary issue.

The important issues are that it does not have proper ventilation for cooking in and/or removing condensation... and, at 4 lbs, it's one of those things that will quickly get left behind to save weight and space in your backpack.

For those listening, buyer beware, the Coupler has limitations that you may want to consider along with alternatives that are lighter, smaller and more versatile.