Nozone Pack - Ski attachment?

mdclimber

I recently purchased a nozone pack for 2-3 day alpine climbs. I realize there is no dedicated set of ski attachments on the pack like are found on the Arc Teryx Borea pack. So I'm wondering what other Nozone users have found works best as a system to attach skis w/out slippage.

Have you just rigged them with the 4 side accessory straps that come in the hood?

I would appreciate any info from those who have figured out the optimal ski carry system for this pack. I intend to break the pack in out in the Tetons during the first week of March and want to have my carry system dialed in by then.

thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sold my Nozone for exactly this problem. They do come with 4 side accessory straps, but they never really worked that well, and certainly didn't look very durable. The pack has to be full to make the accessory straps work, otherwises the skis just slide out. You can velcro the tips together, but that doesn't always even work, and then creates a new problem the Jordon describes.

This is a great pack for alpine climbing, but just not so good for ski-related stuff....sure you can make it work, but it ain't ideal. I find my Khamsin an acceptable alternative that works for both alpine climbing and skiing stuff, but to each their own.

i found that the nozone works pretty well if you put on the hypalon sheet on the back but leave the two bottom buckles un-attached. put your two skis together through, tighten, away you go. i(.e. your skis are on the opposite side of the pack from your spine.) it puts the weight a bit further back than mounting them on the sides, but it a sleeker package for bushwacking, so there's pros and cons.

Thanks for the tips. This is a logical method that may work better than using the side accessory straps. In fact, in response to my e-mail this was the other method recommended by Arc Teryx.

I post the exchange below:

Nozone Pack - Ski AttachmentFrom: Product Inquiries [productinquiries@arcteryx.com]

Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 3:41 PM

Subject: RE: Nozone Pack - Ski Attachment

Thanks for your interest in Arc’teryx. The only other way is to attach the skis to the back panel (Hypalon material). I will contact our design team to see if there are any changes to our packs for next fall/winter season.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:55 PM

To: productenquiries@arcteryx.com

Subject: Nozone Pack - Ski Attachment

I just purchased a Nozone pack and I intend to use it on an ascent in the Tetons where I may be carrying skis. Apart from using the 4 supplied accessory straps that come in the hood of the pack, what is the best system to carry AT skis with this pack. I bought this pack because of its slightly increased capacity over the Borea and due to the fact that I will only carry skis about 10% of the time that I use the pack, but the side accessory straps seem a less than ideal way to attach skis b/c they will shift unless the pack is fully loaded.

Thanks for any information about the best use of the Nozone with skis.