Haute route during spring break '06

Dr_Crash

I would like to ski the Chamonix to Zermatt Haute Route, and while I am working very hard at guilting my friends into coming with me, I thought maybe some here would be interested too. Preferrably the French way (as described in "Ski de randonnée - Valais central" by François Lalande), not the British way (as described as the "Classic Haute Route" in Bill O'Connor's "Alpine ski mountaineering - Volume 1: Western Alps"), i.e. in 5 days versus 7, so that the extra days can be used as needed depending on conditions, or to go from Zermatt to Saas-Fe on an extra day.

Due to my new exciting life as a single dad, planning is basically tied to school breaks. Well, isn't it convenient that the best time to ski the Haute Route is around spring break?

If you're interested and qualified (i.e. less fat than me, and with glacier skiing experience), please chime in.

drC - Always the French way tongue.gif

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wanted to do the HR for some time, even attempted it once. torn my binding out of my ski a couple of days in and bailed. I dont have either of the guide books you mentioned handy, but as I am generally familiar with the route, what is the difference between the routes? is the British route through Verbier and the French through???

I'd have to double-check for details, but from my initial read it looked to me that it was more a matter of pace rather than itinerary, where the French guidebook puts in one day itinireries that are spread over two days in the British one.

If you want the details, I'll check it out and post back.

drC