Where to Climb in Japan?

tlinn

wave.gif I am in the process of filling out my application to teach English in Japan and I need to put down which prefecture I want to live in. So in terms of rock climbing what would be the best area to be in? Also, if you have first hand knowledge of great areas to live in I would like to take that into consideration as well. If there`s an area that comes to mind as being a great place to live with rock climbing, snowboarding, beaches, nightlife, then all the better! fruit.gif

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For steep limestone climbing, there is Futagoyama, not far from Tokyo (I think it is in Saitama prefecture). I went there once about 15 years ago, and it may be rather hard to get there without a car.

For granite cragging, I hear that Ogawayama, in Nagano prefecture, near the borders with Yamanashi and Saitama, is good. There is a website with an online guidebook to the area (http://www.ogawayama.com/).

Those are the major areas that I know about. Another famous area is the seaside rocks on Izu penninsula, near Mt. Fuji, I forget the name. Other than those areas, I seem to see small cragging areas wherever I go.

I live in Shiga prefecture, which, according to one source, is one of the few prefectures with no climbing. Well, it all depends on one's standards -- mine are quite low, so I am satisfied with the nearby small crags and boulders.

Jon