recent conditions in Enchantments?

dahlia

I'm hoping to go scramble some peaks in the Enchantments this weekend (Dragontail, Little Annapurna, maybe McClellan) -- sticking to 3rd or 4th class stuff. I'm wondering how much snow there is on the approaches at this point -- am I gonna need to bring ice axe/crampons for, eg, the glacier remnant on Dragontail?

Thanks! I'll post a conditions report when I get back.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there from the 20th - 25th. Shoot me an email if you like. Forget about Dragontail. It's too late in the season unfortunately. The glacier is a bowling ally with big rocks coming down.

Little Annapurna is a fun little climb. Scramble up on the slabby stuff to make it more interesting.

We didn't have time for McClellan so I can't help you there.

4 of our group did Enchantment peak... no problem.

I highly recommend Cannon.

Leave your ice axe and crampons at home. It was getting pretty chilly at night so take warm clothes.

I'll have my pictures (500 or so) ready tomorrow if you want to see. Have fun!

Was up there last Friday. Second the comment about Dragontail, that ice looked foul. And as long as you are not bummed that mere Chants hikers can reach the same summits as you either Little A or the easy (right) Enchantments Peak are worthy little targets. Definitely go up the slabs rather than nascent trail on Little A. Fantastic rock, even though it rarely exceeds 30 degrees. I was also scouting out what's vaguely written up in Beckey as a sort of East/South route up Dragontail, going to low point of Dragontail Plateau and rounding the various false summits on the south until joining the route that goes all the way up from Ingalls Creek. The nwhikers photos from top of Enchantments Peak do make it look relatively feasible but it seemed like a lot of meandering so I wussed out and just did Little A and hiked.