Fontainbleu???

ken4ord

So some of you pebble wrestlers have had to been to Fontainbleu. So I got questions and need beta. I will be in Paris for a week, just chilling doing city shit, theater, resturants, museums, I am sure I will need a break from the bustling city of sweet Paris. I heard that you can take a train out to Fontainbleu pretty easily.

Anybody know where I catch the train?

How much it costs?

If it runs daily morning and night so that I can do just a day trip Font?

Once in Fontainbleu can I walk to the bouldering?

What areas in Fontainbleu is a must while there for a day?

Got any favorite curciut?

Got beta?

bigdrink.gifCheers to all that can help me out. bigdrink.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are probably 50 or more sites scattered in the forest, some accessible by train, others need a bike or car.

the most accesible by train include:

Rocher Canon (train to Bois le Roi then 25 min walk)

Bas Cuvier (train to Bois le Roi then 1h walk)

Saint Germain, Mont Ussy, Mont Aigu (train to Fontainebleau-Avon then 30-60 min walk).

The train is usually marked GARE DE MONTEREAU and leaves from Gare de Lyon. It will stop at Melun, Bois le Roi and Fontainebleau-Avon. On week-ends some trains also stop in the middle of the forest.

It goes every hour or so, and is about 35-40 minutes.You can also take a bike on the train, then more sites are accessible.

It costs €7.50 each way or €60 for 10 tickets

otherwise by car it is about 1h drive from paris and then you can easily get to all the sites. Make sure you exit the A6 just before the first toll station.

there is a small IGN map of the forest available from Le Vieux Campeur or Decathlon (about 5€) which is very useful if you want to spend your time bouldering instead of orienteering.

If you have a car, I'd recommend something in the area Trois Pignons or Gorges du Franchard. otherwise probably Rocher Canon or Bas Cuvier. specific circuits depend on what level you want.

Edited by matt_

in the town of fontainebleau the tourist office had a nice map of the area and guidebooks for sale. I have a book/map you could borrow, but unfortunately you are there and I am here. this is a good website that I discovered after I returned to the states: bleau

drtopo has this printable guide: cuvier

a bike would be very useful...and a guidebook did help as it is easy to get lost there.

I had lots fun in bas cuvier and cul de chien, the roche places are usually cool too as they seemed to be mountain-like with boulders all around...

have fun ken, the forest is what many say it is....

ben

Agree w/what's been said to here...

Remember to bring a small piece of carpet/cloth with you to wipe your shoes before stepping on the rock - the sandstone boulders do degrade over time, and you'll encounter some routes that are quite polished because many people don't do this.

Obviously a crashpad is helpful but if you're just visiting that's hard to sort out. I found that there are lots of circuits with soft sand landings, especially in the Trois Pignons area.

Circuit difficulty in increasing level of difficulty:

Yellow - Orange - Blue - Red - Black/White

Not sure what level you climb at, but if you let me know, I'll happily send over some of my favorite problems.

If you do get use of a car, drop by the Elephant site near the town of Larchant - this has a huge variety of problems and is one of my favorite areas.

Other great areas:

Bas Cuvier (w/Marie Rose, the first 6a)

Franchard Isatis & Franchard Cuisiniere

Trois Pignons (areas 91.1 and 95.2)

Good luck! If you need more info feel free to PM.

Fontainebleau, not fontainbleu tongue.gif.

Some sites with topos:

- [French] http://www.grimporama.com/francais/bleau/bl_circ.htm

- [French] http://www.xavier-langlois.com/

- [English] http://www.coronn.com/TOPOS/readersTOPOS_download.html

The IGN topographic map (Foret de Fontainebleau, ref. Top 25 / 2417OT) can also be found, along with every other IGN product, at the IGN store (Espace IGN) off the Champs Elysees. I like paper maps so I bought a few when I was there in February (Alps, not Fontainebleau), but if you like computer maps, they sell CD-ROMs pretty cheaply compared to the price of the maps they cover.

drC

Edited to point to English IGN page.