light weight tent

JERRY_SANCHEZ

I just notice that the 2001 model of the Sierra Designs clip Flashlight tent (3 lbs) is on sale at REI. I'm thinking of replacing my heavy and bulky 4 season tent with this tent. I know this tent will not hold up in stormy conditions but I'm sick of tired of carrying my big 4 season tent everywhere when I never really encounter such storms. I mean you can't really predict what the weather will be like but for all the years I've been going overnight, the weather has not been a factor. I guess it is more base on looking at the forecast ahead of time, and going up when knowing the weather will be good. In any case what is your rating for this tent? I know a bivi would be another option but I plan on using this for two people. (my spouse)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I basically lived in one of those for a decent part of 93. The beauty is in the simplicity. It's easier to set up than some bivy sacks. Great for setting up in the dark, cold, wet, etc. So many tents require intelligence to set up which is a bad thing. No extra room for gear with two people though.

A great tent---I've had once since 85...been out in some serious howlers with it as well, (i.e. the poles were flat against the ground with the wind.) Stake it out well and I think half of Kansas could go over your head.

I have one and I like it, although I have other options and due to the nature of the trips that I take I usually seem to carry either a tarp or a bonafide mountain tent. I think the Flashlight is a good mosquito-proof option for two, but it is very small and my girlfriends have been unanimous in their dislike for the cramped quarters (what -- is it my breath or something???). Take her to the store and "try it on."

Agree with all of the above Just one thing did u guys notice massive condensation in the foot area or is it just me? otherwise the tent is great and if staked well it will endure very high winds and good amounts of snow but u got to love your partner since for the length of the trip you will feel and be very close to him/her (works better with petit her) [big Grin][big Grin]