Rope suggestions

Big_Mac

I am getting in to the more tech climbing and my 15 yr old as well. I understand buy a dry rope, rated single 65m.

Am I on the right track? What brand?

We are going to spend some time locally for a year or 2 and then head for Granite PK Mt. and possibly Grand Teton. bigdrink.gif

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

65m is an odd lenght, 50m or 60m is standard with 70m filling certain nches. If you are interested primarily in alpine routes as you indicated, something smaller diamter <9.8mm will be lighter wight. Otherwise, thicker (10.2-10.5mm) will be more durable. I have a couple blue water ropes that I really like the feel of. I also have a cheapo lanex rope (9.8mm) that has held up great. Focus more on weight, diameter, features (dry, bicolor, etc before brand). You're budget will dictate brand, although in general I feel more expensive ropes do handle better, but their cost difference is not representative of performance difference.

• 3 weeks later...

For alpine routes, a 70m rope is too long/heavy to be practical. The old standard of 50m has been replaced by 60m because there are many new "sport" climbs which require a 60m rope (or two) for the rappel. The weight of a 60m x 9.8mm rope is about the same as a 50m x 10.2mm rope. The lighter/thinner rope will usually have a lower "fall rating", but what the heck, I don't fall anyway. A 9.8 lead rope is durable enough for anyone I know who is not a guide.

If you can afford a second rope for snow (only), you might consider something 9mm or thinner.