Anyone ever use Granite Gear Packs?

Rodchester

Has anyone ever used Granite Gear packs? I was looking at an alpine climbing pack and thought it looked interesting.

It has tool tubes, a good crampon patch, and a very light frame (Crabon sheet). It is also fairly light and a good size for the Cascades.

Anyone have actual experience with this pack (Nimbus Apline) or other Granite Gear packs?

http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/nimbus/alpine/index.shtml

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got their Alpine Pack. Although I have only used one (the one I have), I've had a chance to try on most of their packs and talk to a few people (that have tested them) about how they work.

I would HIGHLY recomend their "Mountain" Series of packs. These are the ones without the frame sheets. What I found and heard from a few people is that the bottom end of the frame sheet on the packs with stiff frame sheets (i.e. Nimbus and Stratus) may have a tendancy to dig into the top part of your butt. I found this to be true for myself. Try out the pack with weight and see what happens. Everybodies back is different and many people don't have this problem.

On the other hand, the Mountain Packs do not have this possible problem. The construction on the packs is some of the best I have seen. Very bomber and with lots of quality. I would take a close look at the Inversion. This pack has more options to carry things and becomes the most versatile pack (and now my standard overnight lightweight climbing pack). Personally I would choose this one over the Apline in a heartbeat since it has more options and is only 1 once heavier in the Nimbus version.

My only grip with my Alpine Pack is that he zipper for the hood is not long enough. Sometimes it's hard to cram things into the hood.

Good luck...

Tod

I just bought the ALpine Light and it looks pretty similar except no padded hip belt. I had 35# in it last Sun. for 20 miles and felt it had plenty of support and comfort. Well designed, bomber construction. The floating lid could be just a bit bigger, but is adequate. Bottom line is I would buy it all over again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Granite gear's Arete and Couloir packs. They are both great packs. I use the couloir for back country skiing. It has a shovel pocket and is generaly very well designed, comfortable and body hugging. The Arete is one of their lightest packs and makes a great climbing pack/day pack / ultra light overnight pack. Something about the tailoring on the granite gear packs makes their side compression straps function better than any other pack I have used. They cinche your gear into just the right shaped firm wad for a ballanced carry. The hip belts are compact, padded, and ride just above my harness, out of the way. The alpine pack looks excellent, though I wondered if the bare strap hip belt might not be a tad harsh with 35 pounds in the sack, but it would be easy to sew tiny padded sleeves for the straps. All the Granite Gear Mountain series packs are extraordinarily well designed and many are lighter than most other packs. They are cheap too. Second Ascent in Ballard carries Granite Gear.