Rainier Weather 6/26 (Sunday)?

Ovr40

We had a party of three on the Emmons Glacier ready to attempt the summit Sunday morning. We got a later start than planned (we were ready to climb at about 2:30 AM).

Not long after beginning our ascent we ran into a stream of teams descending. They had turned in the face of a threatening weather pattern on the south and east of the mountain.

One of our group was nursing some health issues, so this was all the incentive we needed to bail out. it was a shame, though, because snow conditions were perfect for climbing, wind was light, and the moon was out. Everything seemed in place for a perfect climb.

I am curious now about the threatening weather. If you were on that mountain that morning, can you explain what you saw, whether you retreated or continued on, and how it worked out?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't strictly speaking on the mountain, I was up skiing the Fryingpan Glacier. But from there I had a clear view of the Emmons all the way to the summit the whole time I was there, from about 9;30 AM when I came to Fryingpan Ck crossing til about 3:30 when I headed back down. There were high clouds but I would have figured it could have been an excellent day. But it is hard to judge the winds if you aren't really up there. There was no lenticular or streamers. By the time I left the clouds did start to move in but anyone climbing would have been off the snow by then I'd think.

Ovr40,

Hopefully you'll get more direct feedback from those that were there. From previous climbs of Rainier I can tell you that observation of a typical pattern the weather is following might help. For example, last year on a three day climb we observed the same pattern every day whereby early AM through late morning the mountain would be socked in. And each afternoon it would clear up nicely. So if you have a good handle on what you're seeing, and the forecast (such as no strong system moving in), you could be fine carrying on. Of course there's the risk of misreading the weather, and many would prefer to be more conservative.

Best of luck!